Thursday 1 December 2011

World Aids Day

Today is World Aids Day.


The day holds meaning for me because when I began my career as a nursing assistance, it was during those early years of when hearing "you have aids" was a death sentence. When people were afraid to be in the same room with someone had Aids, let alone touch them, eat or drink after them. When even doctors and nurses refused to see or care for a person with Aids. When even family memebers were turning their backs on family members.
I remember well the evening I found myself working with Aid patients. I was going in to check on two new patients, I actually tripped over the door stopped. The two male patients laughed and I laughed too. It was funny, and I didn't fall, which was even better.
I introduced myself, letting them know I would be their CNA for the evening.
They both asked for pitchers of water. So I went and filled their pitches and returned.
Both men appeared shocked that I returned so quickly.
"We're not use to recieving such service."
Why not, I asked.
"You don't know, we have Aids. No one comes in here unless they have to."
I didn't know. So I told them, if they didn't mind, I would need to wear gloves, but I no problem taking care of them.
A few minutes later, the head nurse called me to the nursing station. "You don't have a problem taking care of those men. Their gay you."
"So,"
"They have Aids."
"So, I'm not going to kiss or have sex with. I believe that just as Yeshua walked amoung and healed the Lepers of His day, I believe He would walk amoung and heal Aids patients."
So that night, I was given all four Aids patients on that floor until I left that nursing home.
I then went to work for an  nursing agency where I continued working with Hospic patients, including Aids patients.
Several of my former Aid patients actually rally and are now doing great, living full lives. But most have indeed passed on.
I remember each fondly, with a smile and tears.
We have come a very long way in the battle to rid the world of Aids, but we still, as a nation and the world at large still have a long way to go. May we see the world rid of this disease soon.
I write this in memory of all of those who have gone before us.
I write this, in the belief that one day, Aids, will be nothing more than a memory.

1 comment:

Beth said...

I was working at my first job as a Medical Technologist when they gave this infection a name. I will never forget some of my coworkers refusing to draw blood from our first identified patients. In a subsequent job, I got to go on rounds with our infectious disease doctors and see the devastation of this disease.

As you pointed out, at that time it was a death sentence. But I still remember attending a lecture given by one of the ID docs, and he said that he foresaw AIDS becoming a treatable disease like diabetes. He was right, and I'm so glad.

Far too many people condemned these patients for having "immoral" lifestyles. Anyone who saw the suffering that they endured could never condemn them...not if they had an ounce of compassion in their bodies. I defy anyone to see a patient with their nose and sinuses eaten away by a fungal infection and say to their face that they're going to hell for what they have done. If anyone really could do something like that, I would want nothing to do with them.

Thank you for what you wrote here, Laini. {{hugs}}