Wednesday 19 September 2012

Ten Days of Awe

Shalom:
It is a cloudy day here in Virgina.
Yesterday while taking Monti out for his walk, it began to pour. I had said to Mark over coffee that morning Monti needed a bath.
During our brief walk, he got it.
Actually, we both did.
So this morning, when we go for our walk, we shall be wearing rain gear.
We began the New Year in a quiet fashion. Deciding to share the turning of a new page with my mother, I made a goodie basket of apples, honey, challah and cheese cake.
With Monti in toll, we headed out to Hope Haven.
The brief visit with my mum, singing the songs, enjoying dipping apples into honey for a happy and sweet New Year, along with cheese cake, lifted my depression for a few hours. Watching Monti eating bits of apple was the highlight of the evening.
We got home and had fish and chips for supper. The depression slowly returning.
I really do need to have my medication increased. But with Mark now looking for a next unit (he had to leave his old unit, there was no major slot) we lost our health insurance unit he joins another unit. So now I have to look into community health services. Not that I am complaining; at least I have this option and I would be quite foolish to pass it up.
Today, I start going through my autumn clothes, getting out the jeans, sweaters, sneakers and socks.
Socks. I have maybe three decent pairs of socks.
That's not good. More about my love affair with socks later.
**************************************************************************************
The Ten Days of Awe.
The ten days begin with Rosh HaShannah and end with Yom Kipper are known as the Days of Awe. Also known as Yamism Noraim and the Days of Repentance, this is a time of serious introspection, a time to consider the sins of the previous year and repent before Yom Kipper.
For Spehardic Jews, we actually begin in the last month of Elud. While not found in Torah, it is traditional to prepare for this Day with deep reflection, repentance and asking those we have wrong for forgivness. My uncle Oscar Blackman (of blessed memory) referred to Yom Kipper as "dress rehearal for the Final Judgement Day."
Amoung the customs of this time is to seek reconciliation with those we have wronged during the year. We are to "put down our offering and make peace with our brother (sister) and then offer our gift to G-d." Since Yom Kipper is between Isreal and her G-d, believe each of us and our Maker, we want to be at peace with our fellowman before coming to into the Presence of G-d.
Someone asked me where they could find the Ten Days of Awe. It isn't there. Or is it?
No, you will not find the Days of Awe in Torah, but the heart of the tradition is there. The thought that if I wrong you, before I go to our Creator, I need to make peace to you. After all, during the time of worship, the Holy One will bring to my mind the wrong between you and me.
"Go to your brother...sister....your boss...your wife...your husband...your child...your parnets..."
That is Torah.






 



 
 
 




 

No comments: