Friday 21 February 2014

Black History Month: Bill Clemons





Shalom:
I had planned another post for today. However, a few hours ago, I learned of the passing of a dear friend,

Captain William (Bill) Melvon Clemons, Retired, US. Marines.

Bill was proud to be An American, and served his nation in the Marine Corp. A Sax player, he also had an amazing voice. I loved hearing his stories about his days as a Marine band officer. However, I also loved hearing the stories of how he met his beloved Trish and stories about their family.

We attended the same church for years, I watched his children grow up, loved watching Bill with his wife Trish. We were in choir together and he was a role model to many a young man coming up in the church. Bill and his children often sang together, my favorite song the family sang was "G-d Bless the USA."

I am getting teary in memory….

When he retired from the service, he went on teach music at the Governor's School in Virginia, where he continue to touch lives with his gift of music.

However, the most important thing about Bill, next to his love of his wife, children and grandchildren, was his faith. A humble, sweet man, his love of G-d and His Word was not only well known, but an encouragement to all who known him. Perfect by no means, there was a Holy light, the Light of G-d that shone in his eyes as well as his smile.

By the time I married Mark, the Clemons had moved out of state. There were so many people I wanted Mark to meet; Bill and Trish were close to the top of that list. Sadly, it was at the funeral for Bill's mother that I was able to introduce my husband to Bill and his family. What a proud moment to introduce "Captain Clemons" to "Captain Reel." Even in his own moment of sorrow, Bill took time to pray with Mark before his upcoming deployment.

On 4th February, there was a fire in the Clemons home. A neighour manage to drag Bill out of the house. Suffering burns about 70% of his body, the doctors fought to save his life. However, despite their efforts, G-d saw fit to end Bill's suffering and take him home. 

I was at a coffee café, just getting online when I saw the post about Bill's services and dropped my coffee cup. It wasn't the news I expected. However, I rest in the fact that he is not in pain and with the G-d, he loves and encourages others to know.
 

"I am proud to be an American. In this country, we have the freedom to marry the one we love." Bill Clemons.
I mourn the death of my friend and spiritual big brother. One of this nation's heroes, husband, father, grandfather.
Faithful man of G-d.
 
 



 

No comments: