Thursday 3 March 2011

According to Thy Will: Debbie Prost

Blessed are Thy L-rd Our G-d, Who has nade me according to Thy Will.

Boker Tov;
Every morning, with my morning prayers, I thank G-d who made a woman. And I truly enjoy being one. To me, being a woman is, well, the best thing to be.
This month is Woman History Month. Like Black History Month, we remember and celebrate those remarkable people who have a difference in our lives, in our world.
I start out with one of my closest friends, Debbie Prost.
Blind since she was an infant, Debbie didn't allow her lack of sight from stopping her from getting an education, getting married or have a career as a public school teacher.
And makes the best Passover chocolate cakes I know.
Debbie would the first person to tell you, she isn't handicapped, she's blind. It isn't a disease, just a different way of "seeing" the world. Fearless, with a wonderful laugh, if I can only get her to realize to how wonderful and fulfilling a bagel with melting cheese on top goes with a cup of Starbucks coffee.
Debbie does't like cheese.

3 comments:

betty said...

I like how you said this, Lainie, "not handicapped, blind, a different way of seeing the world". It seems that Debbie chose to take that different way of seeing the world in a positive way to make a lasting impact on the people she has a chance to be around and influence. She sounds like a wonderful lady and friend! thanks for sharing her with us :)

betty

LYN said...

I have to ask..why do put - instead of the O in God and Lord??
Have a great weekend!

Unknown said...

To Lyn: It is a Jewish tradition to avoid writing His Title in full; it is not prohibited, though. The reason is to avoid casually writing it on any medium that may be destroyed, including easracing and/or deleted.
Muslims have similar casual traditions – they write (pbuh) which means “Peace be unto him”; and Christians capitalize Him/His.