Tuesday 12 February 2013

Rainy Days, Rainy Nights

Shalom:


Eight years ago this evening, during the Blessing Dinner, hosted by our former place of worship, Mark shared with all those presence his feelings for me, not realising he was asking me to share the rest of my life with him.
Eight years ago, I agreed.
And with all the highs and downs, the illness, deployments, unemployment's, deaths and family drama, and of course the fusses, I can honestly say, if I had it all to over again, I would.
This morning we stood in a kitchen that isn't ours, sharing a cup off and a chocolate doughnut together, remembering that special night that began our journey together.
Can't say it has been dull.
When I think about it, it was a rainy night the evening we were engaged. And while it was the fourth day of summer, it rained all day the evening we got married. Even the days leading up to our wedding day were filled with tumult.
The storms of life. As one preacher said: "your either going into a storm, outing out of one or about to enter one."
How much easier to face the storms of this world with someone you love, someone you can depend on. To get to the other shore, like Northern fishermen, we have to be willing to work together to get over to the over side.
I confess, there have been moments I have been ready to abandon ship. Or toss Mark overboard.
But, those thoughts only last seconds and I throw myself back into making over to the other side with my beloved.
Marriage is indeed hard work. It takes two adults and isn't for the faint of heart.
But it in the end, it is a union, blessed of the Creator and made holy by His touch.
And eight years ago this evening, The Creator took our hands and joined us together, walking within our mists.
And I think He likes coffee.

 

1 comment:

betty said...

You both have been through so much, but your love for each other and for God shines through despite all the tough stuff!

betty