Monday 16 May 2011

Heaven: My Home Sweet Home

Shalom:
Today, in  a interview with the Guradian newspaper, Stephen Hawking, the famous British physicist, called the notion of heaven a "fairy story". A belief that heaven or an afterlife awaits us is a "fairy story for people afraid of death."


Really?
In a dismissal that underlines his firm rejection of religious comforts, Britain's most eminent scientist said there was nothing beyond the moment when the brain flickers for the final time.
Well, Professor Hawking has a right to his opinions. And franking, I am not smart enough to debate. I would never stand a change; look like at this cute, round, brown jewish frum and I would be tasty pudding within minutes.
I know many who share his thoughts. Again, that is their belief and their right.
But for me, I have never even wrestled with the thought of if there is life after death. Not because of my upbringing, but just a sense in my being that this could not be all there is. That to life some seventy, eighty years and then to go into nothingness just doesn't make sense to me.
It IS science that convice me that there is life beyond the grave as well as my faith.
And I am married to a science teacher who says the evidence of G-d is there for all who wish to see.
His words, not my.
Fairy Story.
Those who say we who believe in G-d and Heaven are trusting in a fairy story. I would suggest Professor Hawkins read the history of Fairy Tales. More often than not, they were based on some true event or story. There was some morale to them that imparted a truth to the young and old alike.
Since a white knight did indeed come riding into my life, slay the dragon and after our fairy tale wedding, took to the castle we decorated ourselves and living pretty happyily ever after, I have no problem believing in the fairy story of Heaven.
Besides, no one as of yet has made me a better offer.
Heaven: what a wonderful choice.



No comments: