Friday 6 May 2011

Honour thy Mother and Father

Boker Tov;
Well it is that time of the year again: the selling of pricely cards, flowers and boxes of candy. Dresses and jewerly on sale.
No it isn't V. Day, but Mother's Day.
Or as we call it in our home, Guilt Day.
Why Guilt Day? Because all we long we are told "buy this flower to show your mother you love her." Or "Show your mother you love her and buy this necklace." And my favorite "20% off all Mother Day cards this week only."
Like they sell Mother Day's cards the rest of the year.
Even the woman who's idea Mother Day's was by the time of her death was calling for its end because the day had become too commerial.

My mother and I were talking about this a few days ago.
Some of my friends do not celebrate Mother's Day because of its pagan roots. And if it isn't in Torah, they don't have a part in it.
Others go on the other extreme and shower their mother with all the above.
My mother thinks the pagan connection is silly and the other extreme of showering mother with gifts and flowers (which is frankly worshipping your mother) is uncalled for and insane.
"Instead of spending five dollars on a card, just give me the cash." Mummie would say.
My mother would often say of her own mother: "I gave mama her flowers while she was still alive." Whether she was living with us or later when Grandmother had to go to live in a Nursing Home, mummie always brought her mother flowers for her room once a week.
For the last five years of her life, Grandmother lived with us. It wasn't an easy time. Yet I watched my mother give my grandmother the love and care she needed. No matter how busy she was, mummie always found the time to visit with her mother. Even if it meant traveling to 45 minutes to the Nursing Home three time a week.
I learned from watcing my mother care for her own mother what it means to truly honour your mother.
Mummie often tells me how proud she is of my sister Eileen and I. How happy she is with the women we grew into and how we live our lives. How we live our lives is our gift to her; this is honour we honour.
The flowers and candy are nice. But for her, she knows her daughters and sons-in-law love her, are there for her and that every day is Mother's Day.
Mother's Day is suppose to honour the 'mothers of our nation."
That's nice. And how many "mothers" will have to go to work that day instead of getting the day off? How many will get a Mother's Day bonus in their paycheck?"
How many of us will get a call from a child we haven't heard from in a year. Or not at all?
I love my mother and mother-in-law. I love being a mum. And next to be a military wife, it is the toughest, yet most rewarding job on earth.
Sunday this nation will say "Happy Mother's Day." to the nations mothers. And I do think that is a good thing.
Mothers, like fathers, are our nations heroes. She who rocks the cradle, rules the world. And I don't see a thing wrong with giving every mother the honour she is due.
But let us just be sure it is because we love them and not because call companys tell us to.
Happy Mother's Day.

No comments: