Saturday 26 February 2011

Mother to Son

 Shalom:
I remember in Jr. High School, we to learn this poem. Recent events in the news has reminded of Langston Hughes' Mother to Son.
For my forefathers and mothers, life was hard, but they pressed on. They didn't get bitter because of thier struggles; it made their few victories sweeter:

Well, son, I'll tell you:


Life for me ain't been no crystal stair.


It's had tacks in it,


And splinters,


And boards torn up,


And places with no carpet on the floor --


Bare.


But all the time


I'se been a-climbin' on,


And reachin' landin's,


And turnin' corners,


And sometimes goin' in the dark


Where there ain't been no light.


So boy, don't you turn back.


Don't you set down on the steps


'Cause you finds it's kinder hard.


Don't you fall now --


For I'se still goin', honey,


I'se still climbin',


And life for me ain't been no crystal stair.







1 comment:

betty said...

I had not heard this before, Laini, but it is a good thing to have memorized; life indeed is hard, we have the choice on how we deal with it and where we put our faith and trust; always good not to let bitterness seep into our hearts

stay safe you two!

betty