Friday 10 February 2012

Teach Your Children

Shalom:
"And ye shall teach them your children, speaking of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, when thou liest down, and when thou risest up." Deut. 11:19


Yesterday, I saw the most precious picture on facebook.
It was a friend of my, saying morning prayers. His little daughter came up beside him and picking up the hem of him prayer shawl, joined her Abba (daddy) in prayer. Thankfully, his wife caught this moment on camera.
Because I do not have my friend's permission, I cannot show you the picture.
Another friend, his facebook profile picture is his holding his baby granddaughter, reading the Bible to her.
It is said that faith isn't just taught, but caught by our children. Our children, like it or not watch us very closely and will mimic us.
 How often do we hear "I want to be like my mummy or daddy, when I grow up."
I remember when Aries was about four-teen months old, I found him sitting on the floor, with my new Bible and marking in it.
Yes, at first I was upset, but then I looked at the old Bible sitting on my desk, its pages filled with the notes I had written. Aries had watched me write in my Bible and thought it was OK.
So how can I be mad?
I remember how Aries loved to dress up in suite, making him feel grow up, so proud to look like his step-father. I remember times coming into his room and he was teaching his stuffed animals from the Bible.
I remember one night when he was about six, kneeing at his bed and praying for my sick child. And his fever breaking.
Years later, when I was recovering from surgery, Aries prayed for me.
Yes, it is cute and sweet and even brings tears to our eyes.
But it also makes us as parents and grandparents aware of how much they truly are watching, and even learning from us. The important role we do play. How we have the power to flame belief in their souls. Or put it out.
"But Yeshua said to them, “Let the children come to me and do not forbid them, for the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to such as these.” From the Aramaic Bible.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I cling on to listening to the news speak about receiving free online grant applications so I have been looking around for the top site to get one. Could you advise me please, where could i find some?
Bosch GLL2-40 Self-Level Cross Line Laser, Up To 30 Feet