Tuesday 11 December 2012

A Hanukkah Poem

Shalom:


While enjoying my morning coffee, I read this poem on face book. It was posted by a friend, a nine year old boy's view of Hanukkah.
"Out of the mouths of babes..."
What Hanukkah does not mean to me:
Hanukkah does not mean x-boxes or Wi game systems;
Hanukkah does not mean tons of presents waiting for me at home;
Hanukkah does not mean chocolate candy or gelt;
Hanukkah does not mean getting jealous about seeing Christmas trees;
Hanukkah is a miracle of lights.
We celebrate the light that exists inside every Jew.
  The light started with Abraham, who passed the light to Isaac, who passed the light to Jacob, who passed the light to Joseph and his brothers, who passed the light to Moses and the Israelites in Egypt and so on until the light finally reached me.
 And one day I will pass on the light that exists inside every Jew to my children. That is what Hanukkah means to me.

No comments: