Tuesday 16 November 2010

Ask Me How I know.

Shalom:
Last night Mark and I watched the O'Rielly Factor.
We really don't watch much news these days, making for a rather peaceful house.
But we did hear about a report that Mr. O'Rielly was doing that caught our attention. It was about body screenings at Airports and if this was a voilation of americans rights. That there are groups who are upset about being singled out for screening.
We are all aware of security checks at Airports, militiarty post, courthouses, etc. Often those with their hair covered are asked to remove it or go through pat down,
Annoying, yes.
But we know how these folks feels.
Whenever Mark is deployed, he has to remove his boots and berat, his kippoh (headcovering) is patted down. And because I wear scarves and snoods, I have to go through the same thing.
A TSA officer always directs me to the side with; "ma'am, I am going to have to ask you to step to the side. A nice lady will come over and very politely (I have never met anyone who wasn't pleasant) tell me that she is going to pat down my head and neck, then slowly pass a metal wave over me.
I smile a nervious smile and tell her I understand and thank her and her co-workers for keeping us safe.
I always get a huge smile when I say that.
We don't take it personaly; TSA is just doing their job.
Just as Mark has done each time he has been deployed.
But I think there needs to be a compromise. For women like myself, modesty isn't just a nice idea; it is a way of life. We cover our hair, our bodies, for the Holy One dwells in us and  anything that is precious is always draped and hidden, revealed to few. Men cover themselves for the same reason. The forus isn't on the body, but the soul.
Yes, I remember 9-11 and what has happen since. I have kissed my beloved off to four deployments so I know the price of freedom.
We pay it.
But I believe that people of faith should not feel harass or abused. I think that if religious leaders and TSA can sit down and talk, I believe a reasonable situration can be reached.

After my last session of PT (from a shoulder injury) I was waiting for Mark to reurn.
He had gone for gas.
While waiting I was reading an article about  family dinner. A woman had decided at the beginning of her marriage, there would be family dinners, that they would important to family life. She and her husband had two children, girls now in their teens. And all their lives, the girls knew nothing different.
But the couple divorced three years ago. And this woman kept the family dinners going. Why? Because it was important that during this time of change, the girls needed something to hold on to.
Soon, she began inviviting her ex-husband, that it was importandt that the father remain part of thier lives. It was tense to be sure the first few times, but now, the couple are friends and the girls enjoy once again a piece of their old life.
I remember that my mother, though a single mum, insistes we eat together as a family. I carried on the same tradition with my son. And today, it is rare that the dinningroom table isn't set for meals.
It is important to break bread with those we love, to share our joys and sorrows. It is a teaching and bonding time.
Times we build lovely memories.
Ask me how I know.
I am told this happens to Mark and I because we look muslim.
We're wearing Stars of David.
No, sadly, we live in a world that people with their head covered, mostly for religious reasons, have to be searched to make we are safe

No comments: