Friday 5 November 2010

The Sheheheyanu

Boker Tov;
This morning after breakfast, I am back in my little chamber. The only thing left is for Mark to have the evergreen around the windows.

As I look around me, I am reminded of the blessings about me: a lovely home that has light, heat (sometimes) and running water. A loving husband who is still employed. Plenty of food.
Some measure of peace.
There is a blessing for moments like these;
It is known as the Sheheheyanu.
The BA-RUCH A-TAH A-DO-NOI ELO-HAI-NU ME-LECH HA-O-LAM


SHE-HECH-E-YA-NU V'KI-MA-NU V'HI-GI-YA-NU LI-Z'MAN HA-ZEH.


Blessed are You, L-rd our G-d, King of the Universe, who has granted us life, sustained us and enabled us to reach this occasion.
This blessing is said at special moments and gifts, some we thought would never come.

How we take such things for granted. Like new clothes. Think of all of the people who cannot afford a new shirt or blouse. Think about the work that went into making the garment: financing, designining, drawing, weaving, cutting, stitching, folding, ironing, packing, moving, displaying and selling that one garment. Such a wonder! The tree that had to be fell and all the skill that turned lumber into the beautiful desk before me. This is why before we remove a price tag and put on a garment, we recite the Sheheheyanu.
This is why when a child is born, or starts to walk and talk, when they go to school, on Holy days, even the monring of my wedding, we utter this blessing.
For it reminds us of these happy, blessed moments, the gifts from G-d.
As I look across the room and see my friend David, helping Mark with the dishes. A man who months ago was at death's door, now walking without a cane, putting away dishes.
I say : Blessed are You O L-rd our G-d, King of the Universe, Who has granted us life, sustained us and
enabled us to reach this occasion.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful post, thank you:)

DB said...

And may you always be blessed.
DB