Tuesday 6 November 2012

Our Right. Our Duty

 The duty is ours. The results are G-d's..." John Quincy Adams

Shalom:
The above quote is one of my mother's favourite. It took a long time to realise she was right.
You see, I was not one for politics. I didn't care. I figured that the folks in power would do whatever they wanted and my voice didn't matter.
Somewhere along the line, I had forgotten what I leaned in 10th grade Social Studies...


We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic ttranquillity, provide for the common defence, promote the general wwelfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our pposterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

We the People. I have forgotten that those in Public Office work for us. They answer to us. If we are not pleased with the job they are doing, we have the right to vote them out.
The government is OURS. The president, whoever he is, works for us. They work for me.
Today as Mark and I stood in line with a woman who was clearly upset to see the bottom on my handbag,
Before things got heated, I reminded her that each of have our own reasons for voting the way we do. But the main thing is, we vote. We all stand here, in the cold, because we all love this country and we want the best for her. And whoever wins, we as amercians must gather around and support OUR PRESIDENT. whether it is a President Obama or President Romney.
As a woman of colour, I am fully aware of my history; of men and women who marched, who fought and even died so that I could enjoys the rights we all have as amercians.
Sadly, there are those who do not believe I have the right to vote for whomever I wish.
I have lost two friends because I am a Republican.  After all, I am an oppressed, angry black woman who needs a African-White President to fight for me. Why would I vote for a rich white guy who's faith claims me and my are cursed? Hmmm, like Mormons are the only who has taught this in the past?  I was raised Baptist and was told Slavery was punishment for Ham's sin.
Then there is the following...
"Sell out!"
"Oreo"
And then there is my favourite "angry, old white man!"
Hmmm, someone needs to get their glasses checked. Why? Because I didn't vote for a man who's skin colour as mine?
I did not vote with my female body parts or the colour of my skin. I didn't vote to right the wrongs done by Jim Crow or overthrow Roe V Wade. I didn't vote for a Pastor, Rabbi, or Elder in Chief. I voted for what I thought is the best for this nation.
This was my right. This was my duty.
The rest is in G-d's Hands.

2 comments:

betty said...

It is true, Laini, it is in God's hands and our duty to vote. Whatever the outcome, God is still in control and whoever gets elected with have to answer to him some day. I just hope our country can start turning around and the next four years will be a lot better than the last four years.

betty

Anonymous said...

Amen!
Valerie