Wednesday 6 June 2012

He Fills The Void

Shalom:
Genesis 1:2 "Now the earth was unformed and void, and darkness was upon the face of the deep; and the spirit of God hovered over the face of the waters."


 Emptiness. Vacuum. Vacancy.  Blank.  Gap - Vacuity.
If we were to read the text above in Hebrew, howevre, it would read as follows:" In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth and the earth was formless and void and darkness was upon the face of the deep; and the Spirit of Elohim hover the face of the waters.
If you notice, there is no break in the Hebrew. Out of empty, G-d created.
I have several friends who don't believe in a Divine Being. To them, the verses above are nothing more than just stories.
I have always been curious about why people do not believe in G-d. Not because I wish to prove them wrong, "witness to them," or tease them with "and what if your wrong?" My favourite of course is "one day you will learn the truth and then it will be too late."
To my fellow believers; "how loving does that sound?"
I ask because there was never a time I did not believe in the Holy One, Blessed be He. To me, believing in a Creator is logical.
To my non-believing friends, my beliefs are illogical.
Reminds me of Mr. Spock and Doctor McCoy.....
Void. Nothing. G-d, took nothing and creator all. Simple.
Yes and no. Too many people, this just doesn't compute. If G-d could create the universe, why are there so much suffering in the world? The earthquakes, mass floods and the war. Why children die? How do you explain Hitler?
Good questions. Valid questions. Honest questions. Questions that deserved to be answered and the one asking the questions shouldn't be put to shame for asking. For using his/her G-d-given brain. There is nothing in Torah that speaks of "blind faith."
I believe that there is a G-d. I look at the world around me and the beauty thereof and cannot help but believe that there was a Divine Designer behind it. I see a child's smile, the way and man looks at the woman he has been married to for fifty years as if it was their wedding day. I feel the cold, wet nose of my little Papllion, Monti, on my wrist as I type. I listen to the blue bird outside my window and know that there is One who taught the little lady her song.
G-d stepped into the Void and filled it with His Presence. Like an artist, He told that which was in His Being and brought it forth.
Kinda nice to know I was part off what He wanted to bring out.

1 comment:

betty said...

I too, Lanie, believe there is a God. It saddens me that people don't want to believe in Him. He's real, he's alive and he can do mighty things in one's life if they will jus trust in him. We have the Creator of the universe who breathed his breath into us; made us in his image, how much more awesome is there?? Plus sent his son to die for us so we could live for all of eternity with him. Truly awesome God is!

betty