Tuesday 31 March 2009

I Have A Different Take

Boka Tov:
Well it is one of those stories that just will not die.
Notre Dame and Mr.Obama.
While I am not Catholics, in many ways, including the stance on abortion, I do agree with the moral outrage with Mr.Obama's being invivted.
Now that the invitation has been offered and accepted, Mr. Obama must as President must be given the respect that comes with being the holder of the Offcer.
But my question is; why would the head of Notre Dame make such an offer to a man who clearly does not share the school's of churches views?
As a Catholic School, has Notre Dame abanden the moral and scriptural teachings it was builded upon?
And knowing the firestorm, why would Mr. Obama accept, given he doesn't share the same moral conviction? And why is it, those of us who take a moral stand, try to live our lives according to scripture accurse of being "haters" "gay-basher" and "robbing a woman of her rights."
True, there have been those (and still are) those who try to shove the Bible down everyone's throat and have set themselves up as G-d. But why paint the rest of us with the same board brush?
There are times we must take a moment, take a step back and think about the conqueneses of our actions.
Mark and I chose serve punch at our wedding, the only people who drank wine was Mark and I and that was because it was part of the service. We had several family memebers who at one time had a drinking problem and not wanting to cause an occasion for someone to struggle with staying away from the Bar, the strongest drink was fruit punch. Did we have the right to serve drinks? Yes.
But we chose to take the moral highground. For the sake of peace.
And I believe Mr. Obama should have been advised to do the same.
But then, that's just my opinion.
I know others disagree with me. I just ask you to be nice about it.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Looks like you've read my entries on the matter.

Since Notre Dame is an institute of higher learning, not a place of worship, there is room for many points of view, as on any college campus. An invitation is offered to any sitting President, regardless of affiliation or beliefs, and President Obama kindly accepted Notre Dame's offer. Then-President Bush spoke at the commencement in 2005, although there were those who disagreed with his presence (and protested it) because of his stance on the death penalty--which they believed also went against Catholic teachings.

97% of the graduating seniors at Notre Dame support President Obama giving their commencement address. A few very vocal people are continuing this controversy, but I suspect it will calm down soon when it becomes obvious that Notre Dame and Father Jenkins will not rescind the invitation.

Hugs, Beth

Marty said...

Hi Laini,
I agree with Beth in that Notre Dame is an institute of higher learning, not a place of worship. I think people must go there to open their minds, discuss all views. I can't help thinking they're lucky to have a sitting president give the commencement address. Besides, who said his speech would be about religious issues? Given the state of the economy and the job market, I hope he spends some time on that.
Best,
Marty

Ken Riches said...

Notre Dame is an institution of higher learning, that has its roots in catholasism. I would venture that the majority of attendees are not Catholic. As a South Bend resident, I find it an honor to have the President come here to speak. I wish I could find a way to go listen.