Thursday 4 February 2010

A Tea Bagger?

Shalom:
I just read an interesting entry on my friend Beth's blog.
Somehow this dear lady remains friends with me and I rather like her.
Yes, we have different views on many subjects. She supports Mr. Obama. I think he's the worst president since Mr. Carter. I love Sarah Palin and the very name makes Beth ill.
And yet, we can read each other's blogs, leave comments and remain friends.
That's how adults act; on the those things they agree, cool. On those things they don't, they agree to disagree.
My only suggestion is dropping the word "tea bagger." A cousin of my told me that the phrase is in England a vile slur concerning someone who is gay. Liken to the N-word or when the Romans and Nazis used Jew as the word for dog.
Not very nice.
I love you Beth, you do keep me on my toes.

4 comments:

Beth said...

Laini, you know I think you're a sweetheart, and I can separate our political differences. But you should know that I am who I am, and I can't change my sarcastic nature. I disagree on many fundamental levels with the philosophies (such as they are...they remain rather nebulous) set forward by the tea party folks. That is who I am.

I know fully well the implications of the term "teabagging," although it is not relegated solely to the gay community, and is not necessarily considered a derogatory term here (I don't know about other countries). Those activists participating in the movement are the ones who started calling themselves teabaggers.

Thanks for your kind words here.

Jersey McJones said...

Teabagger is not a a slur agaainst homosexuals. It is simply someone who puts testicles in their mouth. Men, woman, gay, straight, whatever.

And you just proved why it's so funny an epithet: for the longest time, the teabaggers (angry idiots who fight against their own best interests) didn't get the joke. Being mostly sheltered, white, old shmucks, they had no clue what the popular coloquialism meant. Just like you have no idea what it means.

Ciao, JMJ

Trees said...

Hi I dont visit often but this posting took my interest. I personally had no idea what a tea bagger was. It is my sincere feeling that we have enough unrest in this world, whatever anyone wishes to be I applaud them, as long as they dont hurt anyone in being who they wish to be. I personally am a teabagger I love Tetley tea, lol and I understand that is not the tea your talking about just wished to put a little humour in this comment. I feel if one writes a blog they must be open to all kinds of different opinions. Thanks for posting this.

Unknown said...

Hi Trees: frankly I always called myself a tea bagger since I enjoy tea as well. Until a cousin told me otherwise. And Beth; I love you just the way you are.