Tuesday 24 July 2012

Chick- Fil-A and Me

Boker Tov:
You can't make this stuff up.
At age forty-four years old Truett Cathy started the fast food eatery known as Chck-Fil-A. A humble man with a ready smile and a ready joke.
I first learn of Chick-fil-A when I was working part-time at a Bridal Shop (which didn't last long). The food was cheap and even better good. I loved the lemon-aide.
Since then, when-ever there was a choice of fast food, if there was a Chick-fil-A about, that is where I would head.
Then, several years ago, a friend of my told me her son worked at Chick and because the company was christian, all stores are closed on Sundays.
I said: "the own must be Baptist."
Having been raised Baptist, I know these dear souls still hold to Sunday being the Shabbat and as such they don't work on Sundays.
But sadly, I had to give up my favourite fast food when leaned Chick wasn't kosher.
However, I still admire the Cathy Family.
Known as a great man who just to serve people good food and help his community of Jonesboro, Georgia, at age ninety-one, Truett Cathy is still going strong. When forty-four, Mr. Cathy began Chick-fil-A as a family owned business, is still a family business, still hold to its christian traditional, family values.
But now, Chick and its owners are "haters and bigots". Why?
Dan Cathy: "We are very much supportive of the family - the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give G-d thanks for that,"
This is called "hate speech."
Because the Cathy family holds to "biblical definition of the family unit," Chick-fil-A serves hate with its chicken nuggets.
Oh I forgot; biblical definition of the family unit, holders of one husband/ one wife is coded for "we hate homosexuals or anyone else unlike us."
Now, if Chick only hired Baptist, I would agree. If the owners insist that their employees go to church, I would agree. If gays were denied jobs or the store refuses to serve them, I would agree. If there were anti-gay posters pasted all over the restaurants, I would go along with you.
  But because Mr. Cathy holds to traditional values, this makes Chick promoters of hate?
As I listen to all of this, I think back to what happen when the movie, The Last Temptation of Christ"  was released. The protest that broke out, only caused people who otherwise would not have been interested, to go and see a lousy movie.
Yes, lousy. I was it. Waste of my time and money.
Those who have become "offended" because the Cathys men have remain married to their first love, and made their offend known, will not close the restaurant's door, but gain them more business. The uproar over a good family, with backfire.
Now, if only Mr. Cathy would add a kosher chicken sandwich to the menu.




1 comment:

betty said...

I did hear this on the news this morning, Laini; totally agree with their stance on what marriage is as it is defined in the Bible. I admire them for being closed on Sundays. And I know one thing, God will honor them for their commitment to him and their honoring of his word.

betty