Tuesday 24 July 2012

Why I Support Mitt Romney

Boker Tov:
It was both a hard and yet an easy choice to make.
While I really have major struggles with the Mormon teachings, including the ever changing revelations, Mitt Romney the man I like.
Yes, I know he is a wealthy with an amazing looking mane of hair and a great looking wife who took a hit for "just being a housewife."
Frankly, I like Willard Mitt Romney and his wife Ann. I wouldn't mind having them over for Shabbat supper.
Just have to remember to serve grape juice instead of wine.
I always wonder why Mr. Romney went around as Mitt. Until I heard his first name was Willard.
Born March 12, 1947, Mr. Romney doesn't look a bit of sixty-five, yet alone the father of five sons or the grandfather of seven-teen grandchildren.

Like many Mormon youth, after high school, he spent 30 months in France as a Mormon missionary.
After going to both Harvard Business School and Harvard Law School simultaneously, he passed the Michigan bar exam, but never worked as an attorney.
But he did work.
In 1984, Mr. Romney co-founded Bain Capital a private equity investment firm, one of the largest such firms in the United States. In 1994, he ran for Senator of Massachusetts and lost to  Mr.Ted Kennedy.
After leaving Bain, Mr. Romney was President and CEO of the 2002 Winter Olympic Games. This would be the very first time I would hear his name. I thought he did an amazing job.
Also in 2002, he was elected Governor of the State of Massachusetts where he eliminated a 1.5 billion deficit.
I knew Bain was the forerunner to Staples, but didn't know Mitt Romney was behind it. What started with one small office supply store in Massachusetts, turned it into Staples; now over 2,000 stores employing 90,000 people.
The  company also worked to perform the same kinds of business miracles again and again, with companies like Domino's, Sealy, Brookstone, Weather Channel, Burger King, Warner Music Group, Dollarama, Home Depot Supply, and many others.
Mr. Romney was an unpaid volunteer campaign worker for his dad's gubernatorial campaign 1 year.
Mr. Romney was an unpaid intern in his dad's governor's office for eight years. The Romney family was very involved in the Civil Rights Movement.

Mr. Romney was an unpaid bishop and state president of his church for ten years. He also was an unpaid President of the Salt Lake Olympic Committee for three years.
 As Governor of Massachusetts for four years, Mr. Romney took no salary and he gave his entire inheritance from his father to charity.
Mitt Romney is one of the wealthiest self-made men in our country but has given more back to its citizens in terms of money, service and time than most men. In 2011, for example Mitt Romney gave over $4 million to charity, almost 19% of his income.
I don't have to worry about not seeing his birth certificate or his high school and college transcripts. I don't have to worry about his social security card. No problem with his draft notice or that he was serving as a missionary at the time.
No problem with the law degree or the medical records. Nor do I believe he will pass the cost of Date Night onto the American people
I would say, Mr. Romney, show your tax records; not because you have anything to hide, but to show you don't.
Mr. Romney's background, experience and trustworthiness, says to me, the dude haves the goods. That he would to be a great leader and an excellent citizen for President of the United States.
Perfect by no means, but better than what we have right now.
If I had any advise for Mr. Romney, I would tell him to talks his greatest strenghts: how businesses are build, his love for his wife and his family, which is the heart of any nation.
Mr. Romney  isn't a shooting star. But he does burn steady and bright.














 














1 comment:

Marty said...

I'm actually not sure what to think about Mitt Romney. I've been following his positions closely, but they also change (i.e. there are times when I agree with him, then he changes his position and I scratch my head, but then he changes it back again). I don't believe all the negative press about him, but then again, I don't believe all the negative press about Obama, either. I suspect the two are more alike than folks realize, but that Romney has a real challenge in trying to appeal to a party that's become a bit conflicted. For example, I suspect that Romney himself wouldn't really want to make cuts in food stamps -- that deep down he believes that the public pays into such programs so they can rely on them in an hour of need -- but he's had to support drastic cuts to appease an element of the party that would rather see the money go elsewhere. And with such finite resources and a record deficit, he's had to make the choice that it might be better in the long run for job creation to ease the tax burden again on the wealthiest of us who, in turn, will hopefully be freed-up to create jobs. I personally don't agree with this trade-off since it doesn't seem to have worked so far, but I do understand the rationale. I must say, having read your last few entries, I really respect/admire your views. It's almost in a way like you are willing to stick to your political views, even if it means taking food off the table and absorbing a tax increase. This is a sacrifice not a lot of people would make, but hopefully any potential hardship would be short-term. Food stamps and other programs like it might be cut, but -- if Romney's strategy is correct -- there will come a time when, fueled by additional tax breaks and incentives, the wealthiest Americans would create enough jobs to minimize the need for Food Stamps anyhow, so it would become less of a concern when these programs aren't so available. I agree with you that he should share more of his tax returns and that this in the long run might silence some of his critics. By refusing to release more, it makes the publicity worse.