Saturday 21 July 2012

The Tea Pot

Shalom:
Mal. 3:3-4 "He will sit as a smelter and purifier of silver, and He will purify the sons of Levi and refine them like gold and silver, so that they may present to the LORD offerings in righteousness. Then the offering of Judah and Jerusalem will be pleasing to the LORD as in the days of old and as in former years.
About 30 years ago, when I was going through a major trial, testing in faith, even wondering what sin was in my life, stopping me from hearing from G-d, my mother read me a story she heard at a Women's Retreat.
It was the story of the Tea Pot. ( A parable)


A couple went into an antique shop and they saw this beautiful magnificent little tea pot sitting high upon a shelf. They just fell in love with that little teapot. And they said, "We have got to have that teapot."

They were admiring the tea pot and all of a sudden the teapot began to talk to them. It said, "You know, I haven't always been like this. There was a time when nobody would have wanted me. There was a time when I was not attractive at all and not much use to the master. I was so broken and not fit for anything but the trash I thought."

You see there was a time in my life when I was just an old hard gray lump of clay and the Master Potter came along and picked me up one day and he began to pat, twist, turn me and reshape me and I said, "Stop it ! What are you doing? That hurts! Don't do that! Moaning, ahh! Leave me alone! " And He simply looked at me and said, "Not Yet."

And then He put me on this wheel and he began to spin me around and around and around and around and I got so dizzy that I couldn't even hardly see where I was going anymore. I was loosing it! Everything was spinning around and around and around and I felt sick to my stomach and I said, " Let me off of here!" And he said, "Not yet."

As the teapot spoke, it poured out tea for the couple into delicate cups that never emptied or grew cold. The teapot seemed to glow and light the dark corner like a lamp as it continued its story.

The worst was yet to come, however, My Master then put me into the oven. It was so incredibly hot that I cried and cried to be let out. But all He said was, "Not yet."

Finally, the oven door opened. He took me out and set me on a table. I thought, Whew! Thank goodness that is over! But then He began to paint me with this awful smelling stuff. I could hardly breathe when He put me back into the oven for a second time. It was even hotter than before! I thought I would die for sure. Just when I was ready to give up, He gently lifted me from the oven.

After a long rest, my Master came by and picked me up. I could clearly see my reflection in His eyes and saw that I had been transformed. I was now beautiful. He told me that it was my reward for being so patient and strong. I asked Him how I could repay Him and His face lit up.

 My Master and Maker then explained to me my purpose:" Pour out your story to everyone you meet. Don't be discouraged, if they don't hear or understand you. Keep your lid open a crack so I may fill you with my spirit where ever you may be. I will guide you all the rest of your days."

The teapot then seemed to glow even brighter as it finished sharing, "It is such an honour to serve my Master that I have been filled with joy ever since!"

The couple had tears in their eyes when the teapot finished its tale. They promised to also share his story with others and come often to visit. This delighted the teapot even more. He knew his Master would be pleased. The teapot was serving his purpose....

In the past 30 years, how often this story has come to mind. Even now, with all Mark and I are going through, we know that it is, in part more conformed into His Imagine, to bring Glory to His Name.
Tomorrow's story, The Tea Bag.


1 comment:

betty said...

someone shared this story with me last year with all the different things I've been through and going through; she thought I was a teapot; I can see you being a teapot too Lanie; for His glory and that is all that really matters, isn't it? Thought sometimes it is hard to be a teapot, indeed it is :)

betty