Tuesday 3 July 2012

Health Care, Part 2

Shalom:
I just finished reading Marty's comments on my last post about Health Care.
First, Marty, thought you knew me better than that; give up Starbucks???????Never!
Marty, you and I agree more than you know. I believe where we differ (I think) is, while I believe there should be a safely net for the poor, I believe there should be more affordable insurance so that everyone is covered, but I believe what truly needs the major overhaul is private insurance. I agree you, Marty, no one should be dropped from their insurance because their have a major illness. Or not be able to obtain insurance because of a pre-existing condition.
Again, this is just my personal experience; for the first 16 years of my life, I did not have health insurance. Health insurance in those days were for those who became ill. Otherwise, we paid our doctor and medications out of pocket. My mother and grandmother had health insurance, but then they both had high blood pressure. For my sister and I, she paid out of pocket.
After the birth of my son, I went on Welfare and this included government health care. And there were limits on the coverage.
When my son turned 18 and went into the navy, I came off the system.
Ahhhh air!
In the 50's and 60's as the Welfare rolls grew, the system began to setup guidelines to help poor families. One of them, if there was a man in the house, even if he wasn't working, no assistance would be given. So, to help his family, men had to leave their families in order for their wives and children to receive a small, monthly check. Right now, in order for us to get food stamps, I need to leave my husband. That is how the System is set up.
When my mother had her stroke and I brought her home to recover, her insurance did not cover all her needs. So I went to Social Services and was told first we had to spend down all the money in her savings account. Then, I was told I would have to place her in an assistance living home. Even though I retired from my job to take care of my mother, in order for her to receive the care she needed, I had to place her in the care of strangers.
And while the staff at Hope Haven is amazing, we cannot afford to take in either my mother or Mark's parents in our own home. Or theirs.
I really hope and pray my fears about the Health Care bill are unfounded. Its times like these things I don't mind being wrong.
But I won't eat crow; not kosher you know.

2 comments:

Marty said...

Hi Laini,
Thanks ... it all sounds scary to me. What concerns me most of all is how our system could have ended up this way. It feels like some of our elected officials sold us out or something. I'm hoping the new plan -- even if it's not perfect -- will force us out of an unfair system.
Best,
Marty

Unknown said...

On this we agree, Marty. The system is unfair and broken. Maybe it will take this healthcare is that beginning.