Thursday 12 April 2012

A Mother's Cry

Note from Laini: In light of new facts, this post is being amended.
Boker Tov:
As the story of Trayvon Martin, the young teenager who was shot to death about 45 days ago, I watch with growing respect for this young man's parents.
Mr. Martin and Ms.Fulton have never called for revenge. Either went looking for Mr. Zimmerman to take the law into their own hands. All they called for Mr. Zimmerman to be arrested and for justice.Nothing more. Nothing less.
This morning, I read the comments of Ms. Fulton after Mr.Zimmerman's arrest. She said she believed that the shooting was an accident, that things just got out of hand.
As I listen to this grieving mother, I cannot help but wonder if I would be so gracious. I would hope so. I look at Mr. Martin, a man who has lost his son. And he isn't seeking eye for an eye or for blood to now flow throughout the streets of America. He just wants justice.
This is the beauty of grace, even in the mist of heartache, of lost.
Later in the day, Ms Fulton spoke again, this time making clear her meaning:
Earlier today, I made a comment to the media that was later mischaracterized. When I referenced the word 'accident' today with regard to Trayvon's death, in NO way did I mean the shooting was an accident.
We believe that George Zimmerman stalked my son and murdered him in cold blood. The 'accident' I was referring to was the fact that George Zimmerman and my son ever crossed paths. It was an accidental encounter. If George Zimmerman hadn't gotten out of his vehicle, this entire incident would have been avoided.
My son was profiled, followed and murdered by George Zimmerman, and there was nothing accidental about that.

I can't help but think of Miriam (Mary) the mother of Yeshua (Jesus) when her beloved Son was put to death. The heart break, the unspeakable sorrow. Yet, His death changed the world.
And I believe there will be similar meaning to Trayvon's death. Already, people are talking about Race at a deeper level. People from all backgrounds are reaching out to this family with love and support. No, Trayvon isn't a saviour or a saint. Just a teenage boy gone too soon.
And while I pray for justice for Trayvon, I also pray Mr.Zimmerman, whatever the outcome, will receive a fair trial.
I pray that this will be a lesson for all of us, that we are not so quick to judge others, not so quick to think the worse.
Listening to the 9-11 calls, clearly Mr.Zimmerman thought the worse of  a young black man he thought was up to no good. And if he had just left the police handle things, Trayvon would be alive today and he would not be in jail.

And maybe, finally Trayvon can begin to rest in peace.

No comments: