Wednesday 25 April 2012

Reel Books

Shalom:
I am one of the few hold outs concerning the Kindle.
Not that I have anything against it. Mark has one. He brought it for his last deployment and found it quite handy.
But for me, nothing beats the feel of a book in your hands. The feel of paper on your fingers as you turn the page.
I remember many summers, lying in tall grass with the sun beating down on the back of my neck as I got lost in a thick hardback book. Or winter days, in bed with the flu, trying to balance a bowl of chicken soup and a paperback novel. And while much of my research for any subject is online, you can still find me heading the library or a bookstore.

Even now, sits on my nightstand three books I am reading.
Amoung them a book about Papillons.
For me, the Kindle just looks so cold and impersonal, whereas a book looks warm and inviting.
One day I might change my mind and actually try reading Mark's.
But for right now, I have a good book to finish.


1 comment:

Beth said...

I embrace both. I still love hard copies, and always get those for authors whose books we collect (Stephen King, et al). But the Kindle is fantastic for traveling, or even when just running errands. It fits in my purse, and I always have a book with me. Actually, several HUNDRED books! My Kindle holds about 3500 books, and I still have only a little over 500 on there. It's a traveling library.

I think you'd enjoy it. Using it doesn't mean you have to give up hard copies...you really can have both!