Monday 28 May 2012

Real Heroes Don't Wear Capes

We do not know most of their names. Their superpower lies in the desire to be part of something greater than themselves, to serve and protect the nation they love and the way of life we all enjoy.
I am honoured to be part of a family who has so many American heroes. Going back to great-grandfathers, uncles, grandfathers, step-father and step-uncle. My husband Mark, still in the Reserves, my father-in-law, retired Navy, his brothers, all who have passed on, also served. My son who enters his 20th in the Navy, my cousin Daniela who is soon to retire as well as other cousins who are still deployed. They gave up much of their freedoms to go into the service, so that we can keep ours.
I still have the dog tags from Mark's first two tours of Iraq. I wore them to keep him close to my heart. Today I still wear them to remember to pray for those who are deployed now.
I remember the families; husbands, wives, children, parents and grandparents who lay wreathes on graves today. They too are heroes, letting a loved one go that didn't come back.
Mark and I do not go shopping or attend cook-outs on Memorial Day. We prefer to watch the services honouring our honoured dead, saying prayers for the ones that they leave behind.
May They Each Rest in Peace and May G-d Continue to Comfort Those Left Behind.

No comments: