Thursday 2 April 2009

When They Came For Me

Boka Tov;

The people who gave us the Reformation, Max Ernst, Bach, Beethoven, Brahms, Handel, Strauss, Kant and Nietzsche gave us ha'shoah or the Holocaust.
Martin Niemoller was a German pastor and theologian who actually believed in the promises that Hitler made to the German people. When he became disillusioned with the Nazis and what they were doing he wrote:
"When the Nazis came for the communists, I remained silent;
I was not a communist.
Then they locked up the social democrats, I remained silent; I was not a social democrat.
Then they came for the trade unionists, I did not speak out; I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Jews, I did not speak out; I was not a Jew .When they came for me, there was no one left to speak out for me.
"There is room on the American stage for all voices.
Even the ones we disagree with.

No comments: