Monday 25 May 2009

A Day To Remember



Boka Tov:

Well here I go, waving the flag again.

And it's a grand ole flag too :)

I am a proud american. I'm not ashame to say it. To shout it from the roof top.

Though I do wish I had a belt right now.

For the past two weeks I have had to listen to the Speaker of the House lie (yes, she is lying) the President whine and throw a tantum because he didn't get his way and got into a p**** fight with the former Vice President and now Mr. Powell wants a turn rolling in the mud.

The world shakes collected head at us and wonder. Friends who voted for Mr. Obama are telling me they made a mistake and I am ready to send the whole lot to Afghanistan and have a crack at running the country myself.

I can't do any worst.

A Day to Remember.

On this day, we remember those who laid down their lives for this country.

I remember my uncle Oscar (of blessed memory) who taught me how to blow taps and the meeting behind the notes.

It was he who taught me the meeting behind the final formation, the final salute, the folding of the flag, and how it is an honour to be part of an honour guard. To carry that brother or sister to his or her final resting place.

My uncles served in WWII and several of their sons followed in their footsteps.

On this day, when I see the flag, hear theose 24 notes, I tear up.

But I also smile. Because I live in the best nation in the world.

Despite our faults and problems, America is still the greatest nation. And as a African friend of once said: "America's greatness lies in her Judo-Christian values and her goodness. She shall stop being great, when she stops being good.

Now I have to get to the store and get some Hebrew National hotdogs.

No comments: