Wednesday 11 November 2009

Happy Veteran's Day

If you can read this thank a teacher. If you can this in english thank a Soldier.
Thank you to all who have served, serving now and their families.

Boka Tov:
It is a cold, rainy day here in TideWater; someone forgot to send me the notice to build an Ark. I had planned to go to a Veteran's Day Parade in Portsmouth, but what we believe to be an NorthEastern blowing in, stopped me.
So today is a day of coffee and quilting and maybe some writing. I have a few movies I rented and this is a good day to get into them.
Today I wish to give thanks to all the Veterans both here in America as well as thoses Veterans of other courtries, who served with us.
Ninety-one years ago today, at 11 AM on the 11th day of the 11th month, the armistice that ended World War 1 went into effect. To commemorate this, congress declared Nov. 11th Armistice Day, thus beginning what has become known as Veterans' Day. The date was declared a national holiday in many allied nations, to commemorate those members of the armed forces who were killed during war. In many parts of the world, at 11:00 am, there is two minutes of silence, to remember the twenty million who died.
Also known as Remembance Day, this day is not just a day to remember American Veterans, but those of our Allies, to whom I also salute and give thanks to all who fought and have fought for our freedoms.
I also thank and salutes those left to man the homefront.
The military is a family busniess: we are make sacrifices to see that our nation is protected and defended.
 I remember when the War on Terrisiom began. There were Protesters along the streets of downtown Norfolk, speaking out against the War.
There was, as always, a yelling mate between those who stood behind the choice and those against.
A teenager walking up to an older man, and said: "my dad is going to miss my 18th birthday because he is defending your right to protest." And then the boy walked away.
Silence.
So, as my Mark, my soldier would say: "To those who serve or have served, thank you. For welcome else. Your welome."

2 comments:

betty said...

great post, Laini; sorry about the rain putting a damper on your going to that parade; that would have been enjoyable to see and participate in

again, thanking you and Mark for your service and if you have a moment, stop by my blog because I did a tribute to service people there :)

betty

natalie said...

Dear Lainin and MArk,
hugggggggggggggggggs!
when did MArk leave on this deployment? God Bless both of you and keep you!
Thank you so much for commenting on my journal on the veterans day entry! I really do appreciate it!
How long is Mark being deployed for? is it dangerous? Happy thanks giving dear friends
hugs,Devon