Wednesday 31 December 2008

Laini's Porridge

Shalom;
I have to be honest, I got this idea from Quaker Oats.
Many years ago, Quaker Oat came out with various flavors in its variety pack. I would take one plain pack and mix one of the flavored ones into it for my son. He loved it.
So, I found it cheaper to buy a gallon plastic container. One quart box of Quaker Oats. A cup of cinnamon, nutmeg, raisins, chopped dry banana chips and pecans. Mix all of this in the gallon container and shake well to mix. Sometimes I make plain Oatmeal with a 1/4 cup of chocolate chips and dried strawberries. Yes, it is a little work, but much cheaper than the instant.
In a sauce pan, I use a teaspoon of honey, two drops of almond oil, pat of butter and a pinch of sea salt. Let warm and then stir in your oatmeal.
For Diabetics, cut your spices, dry fruit in half and do not use honey. You can also forgot the fruit if you wish honey.
While the nuts are a nice touch, if you are allergic to nuts, do not add.
And for the record, I love Oatmeal cookies.

2 comments:

betty said...

what a great idea to do it this way Laini!! I bet it does always come out great, cookies and all!

betty

Michal Ann said...

Laini: I'm really sorry but I don't quite get the recipes. (I'm sure they directions make sense to a better cook than I!) A gallon container has room for 4 quarts. Are you taking a quart (lg. box) of oatmeal and then adding a cup EACH of cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.?

I'm not sure why you are using a pan to warm a teaspoon of honey, etc. and then stirring it into the oatmeal. Wouldn't the oil, butter, salt and honey warm up if you just stirred them directly into the hot oatmeal? I am assuming you gave the proportions for one bowl at a time.

What's your favorite oatmeal cookie recipe?

Thanks and Happy New Year,

Michal Ann McAllister

Michal is a Hebrew name meaning "brook." She was the younger daughter of King Saul who became the first wife of David.)

No blog. immichal@yahoo.com