Tuesday 9 December 2008

Slowly Recovering

Shalom:
Well, I survivor the night. though Mark had to turn on the heating pad about 2a.m for my leg.
Today, I almost called and canceled because I was in so much pain. But the only way to get through this is to push through. Part of it was a nice hot shower and the other, the medication. By breakfast time, I felt I could face the day.
My physical therapist went easy on me today, knowing what I had to face with x-ray.
What we are looking for is called Aseptic necrosis. This is a rare side affect to having been on steroids for a long time. In my case, this would be for the several years of steroid use for asthma and then a month ago a very high doseage to remove nasal polps. Aseptic necrosis causes an insufficient blood flow to the hip, causing bone death. This would mean a hip replacement.
From first glance of the x-rays, this doesn't look like the case; the ball hasn't collasped and still in place. We will know fully when the reports are in. We are hopeful that this is muscle-tissue damage that can be repaired with P.T.
So, today after the stretchs, I walked one end of the clinic to the other. The aim. To get me off the crutches.
My muscles were tight, so I had a nice hot pack (hot the hot packs) and then rested until Mark came to take me home.
I'd had one of Mark's yummy grill cheese sandwiches and now ready for a nap.
I plan for a nice long nap: Hanuakkah preparations begin this evening.

5 comments:

Marty said...

Hi Laini,
I'm so sorry you're going through this ... let's hope it's "just the muscles." I know how painful and difficult it can be when muscles are damaged but at least, if it's the muscles, as I understand it -- maybe you wouldn't need any surgery?
Best,
Marty

Unknown said...

Yes, Marty, if it is just the muscles, then surgery will not be needed and that is what we are praying for.
Laini

Beth said...

I hope you don't have to have surgery, Laini, but if you do--and that's a big IF!--you can get through it. I have a niece with rheumatoid arthritis, and she's had multiple joint replacements. It wouldn't be fun, but I know you'd get through it like the trooper you are! Keep us posted!

Hugs, Beth

Unknown said...

so sorry to hear you're still suffering so much!
hang in there, and sending up prayers for ya!
Hugs,
Kathi

betty said...

I'm glad its not the aseptic necrosis; that sounds dreadful! but still I don't like that you are in so much pain; I'm hopeful that with the therapy and time that you will be able to make a good recovery

and I'm very thankful that Mark is home with you to help take care of you and to make those yummy sandwiches!

betty