Thursday 11 December 2008

The Real Thing

Shalom:
It has been cold and rainy all day here in Norfolk. And it I must admit, it affected my mood.
I am truly thankful to learn that it is a slight case of arthritis and not Aseptic Necrosis, that with P.T. the muscles can be strengthen to support the site and I can on with the rest of my life.
But to be honest, when I awoke this morning, I was angry. Angry because I have been complaining for years of cramps in my upper thighs and hamstrings. All I have ever heard was 'drink more water' 'eat more bananas,' 'you have a mineral imbalance and you need X-Y and Z in your diet.' I have asked several times could it be my hip. The women of my family have large hips and all have suffered from arthritis in the hips. But in all cases by the time it is found they were all in wheelchairs. But each doctor said no; it is a mineral problem.
It took my Physical Therapist asking a series of questions to get to the root of the problem: it isn't my leg, but my hip. Most leg pain doesn't come from the leg but the back or the hip. It is a matter of finding out which is which.
So I was in a rotten mood. And it took the love of my beloved and my support of my Therapist to help me work through this.
Again, the condition was caught in time so I will not share in my aunts' fates. Being atherwise healthly works in my flavor as well as the desire to get my life back. After six weeks of Physical Therapy I can fully return to my activities.
We went to see my mum and she put it into a nutshell: "you two have gone through so much this years, it is no wonder you would feel depress at the moment. Just don't stay there."
Then, she handed Mark a StarBuck's gift card and told him to treat me to a Peppermint Mocha Latte with a Twist.

I am feeling much better. The weather does have a lot to do with how I feel.
But the dark cloud has lifted and I am once again counting my blessings. And not facing the Surgery Theater is on top of the list.
I am thankful that it took a medication reaction to lead me to Robert and Leann and they knew exactly what to do to find the answers.
That I had a doctor who agreed with the Therapist and ordered the x-rays.
That that x-rays were quickly read.
That now we know what is wrong and how to right it.
That I have such a loving and supportive husband.
My Therapist, Mark and I were talking about marriage during my treatment this morning. Her marriage didn't last and she is still sad about it, but has since moved on.
Then she pointed out that what Mark and I have is "the real thing." That the staff often remark: 'see how he looks after her,' 'see how sweetly she speaks to him,' 'see how they treat each other,'
That is how married couple should treat each other.
My grandmother often said: "What we go through isn't about us; it is for someone esle's benifit."
And if going through all of this was to show several people what a g-dly, loving couple looks like, then all of this was well worth it.
Thank you, G-d for Your Healing Power and Loving Care.

4 comments:

Beth said...

I know it's frustrating, but it sounds like you're on the upswing. Your mum is wise!

Hugs, Beth

Lisa said...

I don't know that anyone could have paid you and Mark a higher compliment than that. You truly have the love of a lifetime.

I'm glad you are know what is going on now and will be on the road to getting well.

betty said...

your mum knew exactly what you needed with that gift card and her great words of advice!!!

its frustrating when the doctors have their idea what they think pain or discomfort is coming from and don't look at other obvious causes, especially if they had asked a few questions about your family's medical history; I'm glad someone did finally listen and think and investigate but sooner than later would have kept you with less pain

what a sweet comment that person made about you and Mark :) definitely the real thing :)

betty

Joan said...

Dear Elayne, Hip problem is something my hubby and I both know a lot about as we both suffer. Some days when we go for our walk we are fine other days one or other of us is limping by the time we get to the end of of our road.Hope you treatment goes well and you get relief quickly.