Friday 9 October 2009

The First Shabbat


Shabbat is in a few hours.

It is the first Shabbat Mark shall spend in Afghanistan. Not sure if he will have the evening off to do so.

Afghanistan is so different. Not sure if there is such a time as "time off." Not sure if Mark take time to himself like he did in Iraq.
I just know right now I am struggling with depression, even with the joy of Shabbat.
As I often tell other military spouses, these feelings are normal and even help you work through the storm in your being. It draws you closer to G-d and even your beloved because they are feeling the same emotions. Of course, the differenc is their foruc is upon the misson until they go to sleep. We who are left home must find our own mission, our own voice to get through this time.
It is normal to feel depress because you are parted from your loved one. Go ahead and cry. I tell myself.
The problem, however, comes from well meanings friends who send me scriptures, mild corrections about me not having faith or even the ever faithful; "well, you knew what you were getting into when you married Mark."
With all due respect, go suck an egg!
When your husband or wife goes into a warzone for a year, you are given 30 minutes (if the phone works) phone time, pray that the internet works so you can IM, write e-mail or even G-d willing manage to see each other through a Web-Cam, then we can talk.
Until then, just thank G-d for men and women who are willing home and heart to defend you and your family, and their families who are willing to let them go, and treat me to Starbucks every once and a while.
I like my Mocha-Latte very hot.

3 comments:

mrs.missalaineus said...

i haven't seen your blogs in ages, prolly since we came over from AOL.

i know this is a hard time for you and know that your love for your husband and your faith will be your solace and comfort. may your mark have a safe deployment and return to you soon.

ps glad to hear your foot thing is better!

xxalainaxx

Beth said...

It seems to me that worrying about your spouse, and being down about them being deployed is not a lapse of faith. It is a normal human reaction to being separated from the person you love. You're strong, Laini, although I'm sure there are times that you don't feel that. Hugs, Beth

betty said...

Laini; sending you a hug! and I always say a good cry is a good healing thing

I'm so thankful that both of you serve our country and make the sacrifices you guys do to help protect people's freedoms

betty