Thursday 29 October 2009

A Whole Hour

Lailia Tov (Good Evening)
Mark's day is just beginning as my begins to end. Meetings and then work. The beginning of November he is going to be in the field, so there will be about two weeks that we won't be in touch.
And G-d, knowing this, allowed us an extra 30 minutes on the phone.
I believe in mircles and thank Him for a full one hour and eight minutes with my beloved.
It is a amazing how such a little thing as a phone call can mean so much.
When given 30 minutes, you get to the heart of matters rather quickly and half of the time is "I love you" and "I miss you." So to be given an extra 30 minutes is like being handed an extra piece of mum's homemake chocolate cake.
It is a good thing started the CarePackage, because Mark has asked for sheets. So tomorrow morning I shall pick up the deplpyment kit that I was suppose to get today and Sunday go shopping for twin size sheets. I'd throw in a towel as well. It is those little touches of home that gets our loved ons through long deplpoyments. Us too.
Tonight I am reading The BookSeller of Kabul.
Honestly, as much as I have looked forward to it, I have a feeling I am going to be upset.
Mark says it is because of the views of women.
I think it is going to be more than that.
The author, Asne Seierstad is invited to stay with the family of Sultan Khan (not his real name) so that she can write about life in Kabul and about Sultan Khan, a bookseller in Kabul.
The only BookSeller in Kabul. Dispite the change of his name, people still know who he is. And I can't help but wonder what his reaction to this book has been.
I am going to be fair and gracious, reading the book before making anyother judgements.
Like The Kite Runner, I shall write a review.
In the meantime, if anyone else has read this book and has thoughts, please share them.

3 comments:

betty said...

I haven't read that book, Laini; I look forward to your review; I'm so thankful you had that extra time with Mark to talk with him; the Lord is good!

thanks for telling me what Lailia Tov meant :)

I still would like to write to Mark/send him care packages if you want me too :)

betty

Unknown said...

Keeping you and Mark in my prayers.

Unknown said...

Betty: I'd been so busy, I forgot to send his address. Yes, he would love and he still asks about Koda :)