Wednesday 19 November 2008

Always An Olivia

Shalom:
Taking my clues from other jounrals, I decided to do a Theme day.
I have so many interest, it was hard to decide.
Finally I decided to do Wednesday as Book Day.
Today's book is a Children's Book (I love to read children's book). My friends Debbie and Sturat gave me this book as a gift, after the authur came to their Synagogue to speak. Debbie told Ms. Herron about my background and said our family story is similiar. Ms.Herron was kind enough to sign my copy of her book. It is a beautiful story that crosses faith and colour lines and is highly recommended. And then as I was researching for this review, I came across Ms. Herron's picture. Mark looked and the Laptop screen, then me, then the laptop screen....

Always an Olivia by Carolivia Herron.
A Review by Kar-Ben Publising:
Written byCarolivia Herron. Illustrated by Jeremy Tugeau
An elderly black grandmother passes on the story of the family’s Jewish origins to her young granddaughter, Carol Olivia.
As family members flee the Spanish Inquisition, are kidnapped by pirates and eventually sail to America, one daughter in each generation is given the name Olivia, from the Hebrew Shulamit meaning “peace,” to honor the Jewish part of their ancestry.
Critically-acclaimed author Carolivia Herron (Nappy Hair) shares this engaging, multicultural tale is based on her own family's heritage. "This beautifully illustrated offering skillfully shows the diversity of the American Jewish community." –School Library Journal"...written in colorful, poetic language that would capture even the youngest readers."–Library Media Connection"Enhanced by the colorful illustrations, this historical fiction picture book realistically portrays the exciting life of this family....Jewish tradition was kept alive while it could have been easily forgotten and cast aside." –AMIT Magazine

2 comments:

betty said...

oh Laini how exciting! I will look forward to Book Day Wednesday to hear your reviews! how exciting!

oh my gosh Carolivia Herron does look a lot like you!! that is amazing!!!

this sounds like an interesting book; I'll have to see if our local library has it!

betty

Marty said...

Hi Laini,
Sounds like a nice book and the author looks very distinguished but also friendly ... kind of like a person to have a nice cup of coffee or dinner with!
Best,
Marty