Thursday 13 November 2008

Oxford Researchers List Top 10 Most Annoying Pharases

I confess; I use 'with all due respect,' often. I happen to like it Wild & Crazy

Oxford Researchers List Top 10 Most Annoying Pharases
By John Scott Lewinski
Not all University of Oxford researchers are uptight and humorless, "irregardless" of what you might think. In fact, a bunch of them compiled a list of the Top 10 Most Irritating Expressions in the English language -- just because we needed one.
Though maybe "you could care less," the scholars in question keep track of linguistic mangling and overused buzzwords in a database called the Oxford University Corpus. The voluminous record keeps track of books, magazines, broadcast, online media and other sources, watching for new overused, tiresome phrases and retiring those that fade from use (or misuse).
The great hierarchy of verbal fatigue includes:

1 - At the end of the day
2 - Fairly unique
3 - I personally
4 - At this moment in time5 - With all due respect
6 - Absolutely
7 - It's a nightmare
8 - Shouldn't of
9 - 24/710 -
It's not rocket science

This had me thinking about my.
For me, I don't care for slang. It was never permitted in my mum's house when we were growing up and frankly, I think it is a sign of lazy thinking.
And quite annoying to listen to.

1 comment:

betty said...

while I don't use any of these ones, I know I have my own annoying phases, LOL; I think the one I use the most with my hubby is "you know what I mean?" I must say that 100 plus times a da

betty