Monday 20 October 2008

Our day at the Succah

Shalom From Mark:

Since we are transferring the journal from AOL to Blogspot, I wanted to make sure that I included Avraham and Moshe's musings. I am sure that if you have read the journal of Moshe the Mouse, then you have heard of Avraham. You see, he is the younger brother of Moshe. Laini gave him to me as a love gift for Channukah, and I gave her Moshe.

Avraham came with me to Iraq; oh the stories he could tell, but right now he wants to tell you about our trip to the Succah. I will be adding my own thoughts as well.

Avraham here...
Abba does not know this, but I have secretly been wo
rking with Imma to get my journal transferred to this new location. I wanted to tell all of our wonderful readers about our adventure today... Today we went to the Succah at our synagogue.

I am sure that Imma has told you all about the Succah and the Holy Time of Sukkot, so I am not going to write any more about that.
This Abba with the Lulva and the Citron.

This is Moshe and I sitting in the Succah, enjoy coffee.
Like I said, we went to the Succah today: Abba, Imma, Moshe, and I. Abba and Imma wanted to do the mitzvot of sitting in the succah and sharing in a meal together... They didn not know (Ad-nai please forgive me), but I overhears them speaking of their plans for today.
Abba said that he would take imma to Starbuck's to get a coffee and muffin. Then they would drive over to the Succah and eat their miffin and drink their coffee.
Now, I know that my brother Moshe and I love Starbuck's. When I heard that, I let out a little squeal of delight. Which was my undoing because Abba heard me. He asked what I was doing and of course I said, "Nothing! With a big smile.
.We sat with Imma and Abba as they ate their muffins and drank their drinks. Boy I sure wish they would give me some of the muffin. They let Moshe and me drink some of their Starbuck’s which we really enjoyed. Then Abba and Imma read stories to each other. They read about the rabbi who wanted to have some time to himself, and he found that he had way too much. He met Father Abraham, the man I am named after. Father Abraham talked with him and convinced him of the blessings of having people around, listening to their complaints, arguing finer points of Torah, etc.

Mark here:

I have always looked forward to this time of the year and cannot feel this year has actually been a more blessed time.

I am not sure, but maybe it’s because I am home celebrating the High Holy Days with my Beloved. I am sure that my Beloved has given you all of the information you need to know about Rosh Hashannah, The Ten Days of Awe, Yom Kippur, and Sukkoth, so I will not go into any more detail about these times Holy Days… Today is the seventh day of the succah, and we decided to spend some time in the succah. Just spending time with my Beloved is always nice, but taking time during these Holy Days makes it even more special…
We took the babies: Moshe and Avraham. Actually they begged us when they heard that we were going to Starbuck’s. And everybody knows that Moshe and Avraham love Starbuck’s. They also love riding in the car. Notice that we were good parents and buckled them in.

Today we shook the lulav for the last time this year, for again this is the last day of Succah. My Beloved asked me what it means to me, so here is my attempt: I am standing there with the lulav and the citron. Before I even start the blessing, I love to smell the citron. It reminds me of a fresh garden. The acidic smell is refreshing to me… shaking the lulav in the four directions and bring the elements back to me each time is pleading with Ad-nai to make me a powerful witness to my Messiah. As I perform the action, I remember to bless Ad-nai, and in doing this, He will bless the desires of my heart.

1 comment:

betty said...

I enjoyed reading this very much Mark; it was neat to read this celebration through your eyes (along with the help of the two very small but special family members :)

betty