Thursday 30 October 2008

The Joy of the Torah



Shammai said: Receive all people cheerfully.

- Ethics of the Fathers 1:15


Shalom:

Mark and I arrived at Beth Messiah for my practice reading.

And I had to quickly hurry out the door.

Dust. From the walls, the floor, dried paint, sheet rock dust.

I have asthma.

So, after I got my breath back, we went into the Rabbi's office to practice. Howard, Melissa, Mark and Rabbi were so loving and patience as I worked my way through the nerves and then slowly, began to take ownership of the Torah.

This is my Book, G-d's Word to me.

And I knew it! I could look at the words and find my place in the scroll and read the hebrew! I understood the words, the meaning. And as I sang them, filling the air with the Word of Torah, they took on light and life.

Last year, I was overcome with emotion and teared up.

Tonight, a peace came over me. I could feel Mark's smile as I chanted, knowing he shall be at my side Shabbat.

Last year, when I was called to the Torah, Mark was in Iraq. I sang my portion (the same one I am doing this Shabbat) over the phone.

This time, Mark will be here with me.

And that is the best part.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Laini, I'm so happy to hear that your practice went well. I'm sure it will be an extra blessing to you to have Mark there with you.

Love, Beth

betty said...

(I'm reading your entries backwards)

you have to wonder if the dust that was there was from the enemy to distract you from giving the glory to the Lord

so glad the practice went well and so glad that Mark will be there with you by your side as you honor your Lord :)

betty