Thursday 30 October 2008

Hop-Scotch

As I was coming home from picking up the Challah for our Shabbath table, I saw several Hop-Scotch boards drawn, clearly by children.
I remember during this time of the year, in the evening, after the supper washing up was done and the family was sitting outside, telling stories, Mummie, more interested in the present and the future, not the past, would come off the stoop and asking for a piece of calk, would draw the greatest Hop-Scotch board you ever saw.
Mummie thought childhood was a magical time and was already saying; 'mind you! enjoy this time; it shalln't come again." She would supply my younger sister and I a box of colourful calk (this was one of those times we didn't have to share) and encourage us to draw on the sidewalk. This is where I did so of my best artwork.
Ah...I can smell the calk dusk more. We would even have viewings of our latest "work." Too bad no one thought to take pictures. Having a piece of calk in her hand, Mummie would draw a Hop-Scotch board. Then my mum, sister and I and any cousins and/or neighorhood kids were about would play HopScotch. I didn't learn how to play HopScotch, jump rope, draw, respect for my elders, write or read in school.
Like learning to pray, tithe and study Torah, I learned all these things from my beloved mum. The other day, my mum told me: "Wait until you turn 70! It is the most wonderful, magical time of your life. There is nothing like it."

At 74, she would know.

1 comment:

Rose said...

Oh, the memories of playing Hop-Scotch. I loved it. Growing up in the city of Boston....we only had sidwalks as a playground then. I hated when it rained the next day and washed way my drawn Hop-Scotch.....fun times that cost only pennies to enjoy!

Thanks for the memories!

Hugs, Rose