Tuesday 14 October 2008

Feeling Better



H'ag Samach:

(Happy Holy Days)

Today is the first day of Sukkot, The Feast of Booths.

It is a joyious Holy Day.

After working hard all year (except for Shabbat) and after Yom Kippur (The Day of Judgement) we have a Great Seven Day Feast. It is is one of the Feast of Adonai (L-rd) that we are to save for, so that we can enjoy the full seven days without work. The First and the Last Day are Shabbats and therefore no work is done. The rest of the time, many cannot take that time off, take those two Holy Days off.

Mark has Drill this weekend, so he has to work. But Monday, the last day he has off.

We build three walled booths, with the top covered and decorate with fruits of the Holy Day (grapes, prograntes, apples,) Children make pictures. I grew up with colourful clothes that covered the walls and rug pieces on the ground. It can be as small or as large as you wish, as long as at least your family can sit in it. But the custom is to visit others to dwell in your "tent' with you.

We remind the time our people dwelled in booths, tents until we reached the Promise Land. But so that we would never forgot, G-d made this one of the Feast. A Feast to celebrate the gathered Harvest and enjoy the good things G-d provided with family and friends.

It is not uncommen to not only invivte guest, but to visit other Sukkah in the communtiy.

Many, like Mark and I who cannot build a booth (we live in an apartment) the Synagogue has one that is put up so all can enjoy. Mark and I every year of our marriage have sat in the Synagogue's Sukkah.

Last year, Mark was able to come home for Sukkot, taking a break from training. We celebrated Sukkot with friends and of course ate in the Sukkah at Beth Messiah.

Today, we went to the Synagogue for fulfill the Commandment of shaking the Lulav (more later) And of course I took pictures.


I wish to thank everyone for their prayers and good wishes.

Right now I am feeling so much better. I am taking Mucinex; the doctor ordered both oral and nasel spray. Zyrtec for hayFever, Azithromycin 500 mg is an antibiotic and the pill is as big as the name is long.

I remember the doctor looking in my left ear and saying: "Oh dear! it's awfully red."

Mark keeps me filled with chickne soup, orange juice and ginger ale, plus insisting I took a nap when we came home.

And it was much needed.

I am feeling so much better. My nasal passages have remained opened for a full 24 hours and that is a very good thing.

And even though it is in a limited fashion this year, I am still enjoying one of my flavorite Holy Days.

2 comments:

Marty said...

Hi Laini,
Happy Holiday to you and glad you're feeling better.
Best,
Marty

Beth said...

Laini, so glad that you're on the mend!!

Have a wonderful holiday, and we'll look forward to hearing about your fellowship and celebration.

Hugs, Beth