Monday 27 October 2008

How We Danced to The Music

Levi Stubbs, R.I.P
Levi, thank you for the songs we still dance to....
Motown legends gather to mourn Four Tops' Stubbs By COREY WILLIAMS, AP DETROIT -Motown Records founder Berry Gordy Jr. and performer Smokey Robinson were among the mourners at a funeral service Monday for Levi Stubbs, frontman for the Four Tops. "He will always be here," Robinson said. "You're going to turn on the radio and hear him tomorrow. He made his mark on the world. All of the world, you'll be able to hear Levi Stubbs forever." Stubbs died in his sleep Oct. 17 at his Detroit home. He was 72. His dynamic and emotive voice drove Motown classics such as "Reach Out (I'll Be There)" and "Baby I Need Your Loving." "He made us walk in his shoes, felt what he felt and loved what he loved," Gordy said. "He not only sang the song, he was the song." The funeral service at Greater Grace Temple reflected on Stubbs' importance to Motown, music and his hometown of Detroit. Members of the city council read two resolutions, including one that marked June 6 as Levi Stubbs Day. "He stayed in Detroit," Councilwoman JoAnn Watson said. "He could have gone anywhere, but he stayed with his wife, stayed with his group, stayed with the Four Tops." The Rev. Jesse Jackson called the Four Tops "a family story," remarking on the group's decades together under Stubbs' leadership. "You just do not find an Aretha Franklin," Jackson said. "You don't find a Marvin Gaye. You don't find a Smokey Robinson. You don't find a Levi Stubbs. They don't come in bunches like grapes. They are rare pearls."

Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch...you know that I love you...I can't help myself.....I love you and nobody esle...
Last month, Mark and I went to an event that welcomed home the heroes of the Iraqi war.
During the celebration, the music of Motown was played.
And how we danced the music.....

4 comments:

Beth said...

Definitely some timeless, wonderful music!

Hugs, Beth

Rose said...

I love Motown. I have many CDs.

Hugs, Rose
P.S. I love you new template for your Journal.

betty said...

loved his songs; didn't realize he had passed on

oh how I bet you had fun dancing together :)

betty

Lisa said...

I didn't know he passed away - those are classics which are still unmatched today.

I love the shot of you two dancing, very nice & romantic.